3/14/13

'The Liberation of the Box'- 2002 Serpentine Pavilion

Geometry is one of the simplest yet most complex ways to shape any concept in architecture. Out of every pavilion that we perused, a white, aluminum box with polygonal cut-outs caught my eye. The way the lines intersected to create solids and voids made me want to know why it was made the way it was. It is exactly what impressed me about Toyo Ito's and Arup's Serpentine pavilion in 2002.
Ito and Balmond used one basic shape: the square. By using the square and constructing a simple algorithm they created a magnificent space. They optimized light, the site and created a pleasant atmosphere for a summer's day promenade through Hyde Park. To clearly understand the duplicity of the square as a simple and complex geometric foundation, I did some sketches and studies of my own.







No comments:

Post a Comment